Did you know emu oil is an aboriginal medicine that has been used for thousands of years? In Australia, our Oil of Emu was the first to be listed with the Therapeutic Goods of Australia.
We are proud to say Emu Spirit products are TGA listed, but what does that actually mean?
The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) is part of the Australian Government Department of Health. They are responsible for regulating therapeutic goods including prescription medicines, vaccines, sunscreens, vitamins and minerals and medical devices.
This means that almost any product that claims to be therapeutic must be reviewed by the TGA before it can be supplied in Australia.
Basically, the TGA assesses the safety and quality of the ingredients in therapeutic goods.
When establishing the quality of an ingredient, the TGA will look at:
1. Composition of the ingredient (what the ingredient is and its purity)
2. Stability of the ingredient (how long the ingredient remains stable at a particular temperature without deteriorating significantly – this is used to determine shelf life and recommended storage temperature)
To ensure an ingredient is safe for use, the TGA will review:
1. History of use
2. Biological activity (how the ingredient interacts with systems in the body)
3. The likelihood of the ingredient being harmful based on available published evidence
4. Any reported adverse reactions.
For peace of mind, all TGA products must be manufactured in a Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) approved facility, so you can be assured you are receiving a safe product.
GMP abides by a set of principles and procedures that ensure that therapeutic goods are of high quality. This means:
1. Quality cannot be tested into a batch of product
2. Quality must be built into each batch of product during all stages of the manufacturing process
Australian based manufacturers, including Emu Spirit, are required to hold a license to manufacture. We must demonstrate compliance with the relevant code of GMP.
For more information on TGA, visit here
For more information on GMP, visit here