COVID-19 has turned the world on its head. Normally, spring season signals picnics in the park, spending extra time outdoors and seeing friends and family. This year things are a little different, as citizens around the world are faced with the reality of carrying on everyday routines inside their homes. Staying home is essential for preventing the spread of coronavirus, but the change in routine is leaving many of us in unfamiliar territory. Especially when it comes to looking out for our health, we’ve all had to learn to adapt to the new normal.
In a time where keeping our immunity strong is of utmost importance, here are some top tips for staying healthy during home quarantine.
1. Keep a clean home environment
Heading out to pick up groceries or essentials is an inevitable task, but being aware of your risk of exposure outside should be in the back of your mind up until you return home. Reduce the risk of spreading germs at home by:
– Immediately washing your hands with soap for 20 seconds or longer upon each return home
– Cleaning and disinfecting high-touch surfaces daily, such as door knobs, light switches, remotes, kitchen counters, toilets and sinks
2. Stick to a meal schedule
A stocked up kitchen and spending most of your waking hours in the same home is a recipe for inconsistent meal times and increased snacking throughout the day. It may be difficult to stick to a regimented meal plan, but by preparing your meals and designating set meal times, this will help to:
– Ensure a well-balanced diet, regulate your consumption and prevent over-indulgence
– Curb the temptation to order take-out food
Tip: incorporate a few drops of pure emu oil into cereal, cold salads and cold juices for an added internal health boost
3. Take care of your mental health
It’s easy to become wrapped up in the endless news and information about COVID-19, making you feel stressed, anxious and overwhelmed about the state of the times. A healthy state of mind is beneficial to your body, so reducing stress should be an area to focus on.
– Get plenty of sleep
– Give yourself time away from news and social media
– Practice mindfulness and meditation
– Set a time weekly for video chats with friends and family
Tip: studies have shown that ingesting pure emu oil can contribute to substantial improvement in mood regulation and increase mental focus.
4. Keep up your exercise routine
While we may not be able to hit the gym, swim in a public pool or participate in group fitness classes, it’s no excuse to drop your exercise routine. Maintaining an active lifestyle is especially hard in confined spaces, but fortunately there are plenty of exercises that can be done at home with little to no equipment. Keep your body moving by:
– Create your own exercise routine by following YouTube fitness videos
– Take a daily walk or jog around your neighborhood
– Try bodyweight exercises, such as push-ups, pull-ups, wall squats and sit-ups
– Take free exercise classes online run by gyms and fitness instructors
Tip: Sooth sore muscles and joints by massaging Emu Spirit Muscular & Arthritic Rub directly onto problem areas
5. Stay hydrated
Keeping check of your water and fluid intake will help to keep your body healthy. Home distractions may get in the way of ensuring you’re drinking enough water, so being mindful of these tips can help you create a hydration habit.
– Use a large bottle to keep track of how much water you should be drinking per day, and pour the water into a glass throughout the day
– Drink a glass of water before and after every meal
– Replacing other drinks like soft drinks or coffee with water
– Try lightly carbonated water with a fruit infusion for some added fun flavour
Tip: Add a few drops of pure emu oil into a cold icy glass of water, and top with lemon juice and mint for a refreshing drink to start or end your day