What Are Comedogenic Oils & Their Ranking?
By Emu Spirit | April 26, 2019 | Blog
When researching skincare that best suits your needs, you may have come across the term “comedogenic” and “non-comedogenic”, but what does that actually mean? Well, we’re here to help clear the mystery… and hopefully clear your skin!
To put it simply, non-comedogenic refers to products that do not clog pores. This is great for those who suffer from acne prone skin. Comedogenic oils on the other hand – ranked from 1 to 5 – can be an effective base for many skincare products, and all have varying levels of suitability for different skin types. The options for oils are almost endless and it can be an overwhelming task to find your skin’s perfect match!
The Comedogenic Scale
With so many oils to choose from, we’ve put together a ranking system known as the “comedogenic scale”, which ranks oils based on their propensity to block skin pores.
The scale uses a numbering system of 0 to 5. Here’s how the numbers rank on the scale:
0 – won’t clog pores at all
1 – very low likelihood of clogging pores
2 – moderately low likelihood
3 – moderate likelihood
4 – fairly high likelihood
5 – high likelihood of clogging pores
Check out the full break down here
Where does Emu Oil rank?
Emu Oil’s Comedogenic Rating– 1
Linoleic acid– 15%
Linolenic acid– 0.9%
Oleic acid– 47.4%
Emu oil is very similar to our skin’s essential fatty acid ratios, which makes it the most transdermal oil known! It absorbs very well into the skin, carrying anything you add to it into the dermal layer as well. This is what makes emu oil such a high quality, sought-after oil in skincare products. Applying it to the skin reduces inflammation, pain, and redness because of the natural benefits of emu oil itself. Emu oil is well tolerated by most skin types and is used primarily as a vehicle for other potent skincare ingredients. It is suitable for drier skin types too.
A Low-Comedogenic Alternative
Coconut oil, flax seed oil, cocoa butter have all been popular in skincare over the years, however they are fairly comedogenic, with a ranking of 4! If you are experiencing skin break outs and black heads caused by higher comedogenic oils, consider switching over to an emu-oil based skincare range. As well as being low-comedogenic, you also get the natural added benefits of emu oil. When infused with other skin-loving ingredients such as green tea extract and macadamia seed extract; emu-oil based skincare absorbs well into the skin, carrying all the good stuff into the dermal layer for more effectiveness, especially when treating inflamed skin or conditions such as eczema and rosacea.
Shop Emu Spirit skincare and 100% pure oil here
- Health for the Whole Family: Using Emu Oil for Kids
- 3 Ways to Boost Up your Emu Oil Routine
- Using Emu Oil for Your Pet’s Health and Wellbeing
- 4 Ways to Start Your Morning Routine with Emu Spirit
- The Beauty of Emu Oil: Treating your Face, Hair & Nails
- 10 Every Day Health Hacks with Emu Oil
- The Secret Ingredient You Should Add to Your Skincare Routine
- Can Emu Oil Promote Better Gut Health?
- Getting to the Root of the Cause: Emu Oil for Hair Loss
- After-Sun Care with Emu Spirit
- Emu Oil: Health for the Whole Family
- 4 More Benefits of Emu Oil
- 4 Unknown Benefits of Emu Oil
- What Are Comedogenic Oils & Their Ranking?
- Emu Oil Skin Benefits?
- 5 Unexpected Things You Can Use Emu Oil For
- Protecting your skin and immune system in Spring
- 5 Benefits of Emu Oil and What Makes It Effective
- Using Emu Oil for the Digestive Tract
- Using Emu Oil for Asthma
- Emu Spirit for treating Redness and Rosacea
- 5 Reasons Why You Need To Try Emu Oil
- 5 Ways to Relieve Back Pain
- 5 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- Chemical vs. Natural Anti-Inflammatory Pain Relief
- Fish Oil vs. Emu Oil
- How to use Emu Oil to treat Allergies
- Emu Oil for Hair Loss?
- Research Suggests Anti-Inflammatories are Key to Treating Acne
- How To Use Emu Oil to Treat Psoriasis
- Why Emu Oil is Effective for Skin Treatment
- Is Emu Oil Effective for Treating Osteoarthritic Hand Pain?
- Emu Oil Can Help Treat Eczema
- 8 Tips to Manage Eczema Flare Ups this Season
- 4 Benefits of Emu Oil You Should Know
- 5 Skin Survival Tips for Changing Climate
- 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods to Keep You Healthy This Spring
- The Amazing Benefits of Pure Emu Oil for Your Skin
- 9 Antioxidants That Can Help Prevent Premature Skin Ageing
- How To Get Vitamin D During Winter in Australia
- How to Take Care of Your Skin in Winter
- 10 Arthritis Pain Relief Tips for Winter
- What are the Benefits of Emu Oil Capsules?
- The Emu
- Omega 6 – The Other Essential Fatty Acid
- How Do You Know What Is the Best Quality Emu Oil? (TGA Listed)
- Emu Spirit’s Natural Products for Healthy Skin
- Benefits of Emu Oil
- Suntec Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd
- Copyright © Emu Spirit .
- Website by Wolf
Prices in AUD
To speak with us call
1800 662 212