The Difference Between a Chiropractor, Osteopath and Physiotherapist
By Emu Spirit | April 9, 2020 | Blog
Have you experienced pain related to your muscles, ligaments or bones? If you have, chances are you’ve been introduced to various health professionals like chiropractors, osteopaths and physiotherapists that work with you to reduce pain and help guide your body back to health.
Despite being accessible to most the Australian population, many people don’t seek help from any of them. Apart from financial or time constraints, a common reluctance to access these health services is because of a lack of knowledge about what each profession specialises in and which would be most suitable for their issue.
Let’s break down the differences between a chiropractor, osteopath and physiotherapist so you can make the best decision for your health.
Chiropractors focus on the diagnosis, correction and prevention of the musculoskeletal system. The profession is based on the belief that spinal adjustment can improve or resolve a range of health conditions, by finding and correcting the maligned spinal segments and unblocking impaired nervous system flow that was causing the issue.
Chiropractors use different techniques to reduce pain and improve body function such as ice/heat, massage, ultrasound and acupuncture.
The emphasis is on reducing the effects, and maintaining maximal function of the nervous system.
An osteopath focuses on the entire body rather than the specific injured area. They are a branch of primary healthcare practitioners that can recognise conditions that require medical referral, and are trained to perform examinations of the musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, respiratory and nervous systems.
A whole body assessment including your skeleton, joints, nerves, muscles, circulatory system, connective tissue and internal organs is undertaken and measured in the management of the issue. Osteopaths can use their hands to apply manual therapy to help reduce symptoms, and suggest other methods such as orthopaedic and neurological testing, dietary advice and exercise prescription.
Physiotherapists focus on maintaining and restoring movement. They use their knowledge of optimal and suboptimal human movement to guide a person in their rehabilitation, either from an injury, surgical procedure or physical disability. Physiotherapists work with a range of issues including sport injuries, arthritis, Parkinson’s disease and cystic fibrosis.
Through consultation and clinical diagnosis, physiotherapists apply manual or adjunct therapies and prescribe exercises to support the body through the healing process.
What’s the best option for you?
Whether you choose a physiotherapeutic, chiropractic or osteopathic approach – it’s best that your chosen health practitioner operates with methods that have been proven through scientific research. This prevents further harming your issue, or creating more issues due to malpractice. Whichever option you choose, the most important thing is that your practitioner is someone that above all, empowers you to look after your own body. Whether it’s by teaching you strategies to deal with pain, or techniques to avoid future injury, your health practitioner should be knowledgeable and genuine in their approach to improving and managing your health.
- Taking Care of Your Health & Hands during COVID-19
- Easy Immunity Boosters for your Autumn Health Routine
- Natural Immunity Boosters for Autumn
- How to use Emu Oil for Babies
- Why You Should Use Emu Oil for Massage Therapy
- 10 Uses for Emu Oil You May Not Know About
- Massage Techniques for Arthritis with Emu Oil
- How to Deal with Chronic Pain
- Emu oil: this summer’s secret weapon
- What is emu oil and why is it good for you?
- 5 Tips For a Healthier Christmas
- 5 Tips for a Happy, Healthy Summer
- Is your Allergy Medication Interfering with your Appetite?
- What Medications Cause Water Retention?
- 5 Fun Ways to Drink Emu Oil
- The Difference Between a Chiropractor, Osteopath and Physiotherapist
- 10 ways Emu Oil helps in warmer weather
- 5 Natural Allergy Immunity Boosters
- 5 Tips for Healthy Winter Skin
- Emu Oil Benefits: Inside and Out
- 5 Natural Remedies to deal with Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Health for the Whole Family: Using Emu Oil for Kids
- 3 Ways to Boost Up your Emu Oil Routine
- Using Emu Oil for Your Pet’s Health and Wellbeing
- 4 Ways to Start Your Morning Routine with Emu Spirit
- The Beauty of Emu Oil: Treating your Face, Hair & Nails
- 10 Every Day Health Hacks with Emu Oil
- The Secret Ingredient You Should Add to Your Skincare Routine
- Can Emu Oil Promote Better Gut Health?
- Getting to the Root of the Cause: Emu Oil for Hair Loss
- After-Sun Care with Emu Spirit
- Emu Oil: Health for the Whole Family
- 4 More Benefits of Emu Oil
- 4 Unknown Benefits of Emu Oil
- What Are Comedogenic Oils & Their Ranking?
- Emu Oil Skin Benefits?
- 5 Unexpected Things You Can Use Emu Oil For
- Protecting your skin and immune system in Spring
- 5 Benefits of Emu Oil and What Makes It Effective
- Using Emu Oil for the Digestive Tract
- Using Emu Oil for Asthma
- Emu Spirit for treating Redness and Rosacea
- 5 Reasons Why You Need To Try Emu Oil
- 5 Ways to Relieve Back Pain
- 5 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- Chemical vs. Natural Anti-Inflammatory Pain Relief
- Fish Oil vs. Emu Oil
- How to use Emu Oil to treat Allergies
- Emu Oil for Hair Loss?
- Research Suggests Anti-Inflammatories are Key to Treating Acne
- How To Use Emu Oil to Treat Psoriasis
- Why Emu Oil is Effective for Skin Treatment
- Is Emu Oil Effective for Treating Osteoarthritic Hand Pain?
- Emu Oil Can Help Treat Eczema
- 8 Tips to Manage Eczema Flare Ups this Season
- 4 Benefits of Emu Oil You Should Know
- 5 Skin Survival Tips for Changing Climate
- 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods to Keep You Healthy This Spring
- The Amazing Benefits of Pure Emu Oil for Your Skin
- 9 Antioxidants That Can Help Prevent Premature Skin Ageing
- How To Get Vitamin D During Winter in Australia
- How to Take Care of Your Skin in Winter
- 10 Arthritis Pain Relief Tips for Winter
- What are the Benefits of Emu Oil Capsules?
- The Emu
- Omega 6 – The Other Essential Fatty Acid
- How Do You Know What Is the Best Quality Emu Oil? (TGA Listed)
- Emu Spirit’s Natural Products for Healthy Skin
- Benefits of Emu Oil
- Suntec Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd
- Copyright © Emu Spirit .
- Website by Wolf
Prices in AUD
To speak with us call
1800 662 212