Is your Allergy Medication Interfering with your Appetite?
By Emu Spirit | April 10, 2020 | Blog
Allergy season is well and truly upon us, and the tornado of pollen coming your way means we’re heading to the pharmacy in droves. But did you know the allergy medication could have unpleasant side effects to your diet? Researchers have suggested that allergies and weight gain might go hand in hand, and that could be associated with the drugs you take to treat them.
While there isn’t a clear link between weight gain and allergies, researchers suggested that inflammation could play a role. Fat cells release chemicals that promote inflammation, and an allergic reaction triggers inflammation as well. This means, people with high levels of inflammation in their bodies are likely to suffer both conditions. A double whammy.
A more basic explanation is that some older medications are sedating, causing you to be a couch potato. Drugs that make you tired are more than likely to interfere with your regular exercise routine. Secondly, antihistamines can make you thirsty, and the signal for thirst can be confused with the signal for hunger. That in turn might make you likely to eat when you really should be taking a sip of water. Whatever the explanation, we have a few suggestions up our sleeves to help combat spring allergies without ruining your summer beach body.
Here are a few tips to keep allergy season from derailing your diet:
1. Opt for newer antihistamines. If you want a medication that won’t make you prone to skipping workouts, choose one of the non-sedating options.
2. Get diagnosed. Sometimes over-the-counter medications just don’t cut it. They might make you hungry, tired or generally miserable. Consider seeing an allergist. Knowing what you’re allergic to makes it easy to find prescription medications without all the side effects. You could even have an allergy shot, which doesn’t have the side effects that antihistamines do.
3. Stay hydrated. Make sure you’re always sipping on water whenever you’re taking allergy medications. This can help prevent your mind from confusing thirst with hunger. Add fruit, cucumbers and herbs to your water to make it more interesting. Better yet, add a few drops of pure emu oil to further help reduce inflammation-based symptoms of allergies.
4. Fight allergies with food. If allergy medications are causing you to overeat, try to indulge in healthy food. Some foods can provide allergy relief such as onions, peppers, berries and parsley, all containing ‘quercetin’ – a natural plant chemical that may reduce ‘histamine reactions’. Vitamin C found in kiwi, oranges and citrus fruit, and yoghurt that contains probiotics can help treat seasonal allergies. Omega-3 fatty acids found in tuna, salmon, mackerel and emu oil can help reduce inflammation.
- Taking Care of Your Health & Hands during COVID-19
- Easy Immunity Boosters for your Autumn Health Routine
- Natural Immunity Boosters for Autumn
- How to use Emu Oil for Babies
- Why You Should Use Emu Oil for Massage Therapy
- 10 Uses for Emu Oil You May Not Know About
- Massage Techniques for Arthritis with Emu Oil
- How to Deal with Chronic Pain
- Emu oil: this summer’s secret weapon
- What is emu oil and why is it good for you?
- 5 Tips For a Healthier Christmas
- 5 Tips for a Happy, Healthy Summer
- Is your Allergy Medication Interfering with your Appetite?
- What Medications Cause Water Retention?
- 5 Fun Ways to Drink Emu Oil
- The Difference Between a Chiropractor, Osteopath and Physiotherapist
- 10 ways Emu Oil helps in warmer weather
- 5 Natural Allergy Immunity Boosters
- 5 Tips for Healthy Winter Skin
- Emu Oil Benefits: Inside and Out
- 5 Natural Remedies to deal with Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Health for the Whole Family: Using Emu Oil for Kids
- 3 Ways to Boost Up your Emu Oil Routine
- Using Emu Oil for Your Pet’s Health and Wellbeing
- 4 Ways to Start Your Morning Routine with Emu Spirit
- The Beauty of Emu Oil: Treating your Face, Hair & Nails
- 10 Every Day Health Hacks with Emu Oil
- The Secret Ingredient You Should Add to Your Skincare Routine
- Can Emu Oil Promote Better Gut Health?
- Getting to the Root of the Cause: Emu Oil for Hair Loss
- After-Sun Care with Emu Spirit
- Emu Oil: Health for the Whole Family
- 4 More Benefits of Emu Oil
- 4 Unknown Benefits of Emu Oil
- What Are Comedogenic Oils & Their Ranking?
- Emu Oil Skin Benefits?
- 5 Unexpected Things You Can Use Emu Oil For
- Protecting your skin and immune system in Spring
- 5 Benefits of Emu Oil and What Makes It Effective
- Using Emu Oil for the Digestive Tract
- Using Emu Oil for Asthma
- Emu Spirit for treating Redness and Rosacea
- 5 Reasons Why You Need To Try Emu Oil
- 5 Ways to Relieve Back Pain
- 5 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- Chemical vs. Natural Anti-Inflammatory Pain Relief
- Fish Oil vs. Emu Oil
- How to use Emu Oil to treat Allergies
- Emu Oil for Hair Loss?
- Research Suggests Anti-Inflammatories are Key to Treating Acne
- How To Use Emu Oil to Treat Psoriasis
- Why Emu Oil is Effective for Skin Treatment
- Is Emu Oil Effective for Treating Osteoarthritic Hand Pain?
- Emu Oil Can Help Treat Eczema
- 8 Tips to Manage Eczema Flare Ups this Season
- 4 Benefits of Emu Oil You Should Know
- 5 Skin Survival Tips for Changing Climate
- 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods to Keep You Healthy This Spring
- The Amazing Benefits of Pure Emu Oil for Your Skin
- 9 Antioxidants That Can Help Prevent Premature Skin Ageing
- How To Get Vitamin D During Winter in Australia
- How to Take Care of Your Skin in Winter
- 10 Arthritis Pain Relief Tips for Winter
- What are the Benefits of Emu Oil Capsules?
- The Emu
- Omega 6 – The Other Essential Fatty Acid
- How Do You Know What Is the Best Quality Emu Oil? (TGA Listed)
- Emu Spirit’s Natural Products for Healthy Skin
- Benefits of Emu Oil
- Suntec Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd
- Copyright © Emu Spirit .
- Website by Wolf
Prices in AUD
To speak with us call
1800 662 212