5 Tips for Healthy Winter Skin
By Emu Spirit | September 18, 2019 | Blog
Winter can do a number on your skin. When the winter winds blow, it can feel like there’s no escape from the chilly conditions outside that make your skin feel raw. A combination of cold, dry air can leave your skin itchy, red and irritated. And it’s no better indoors with the heat zapping away moisture from the air and drying out your skin. The good news is, we have a few tips up our sleeves to combat dry winter skin and retain its natural moisture, so you can keep your skin soft and supple during the cool season.
Here are 5 easy changes to your everyday routine to improve winter skin:
1. Make your home winter skin friendly
Try to change your habit of cranking up the heater when it’s cold outside. The heat can make the air in your house even drier. Set the thermostat to a comfortable setting and layer up with warm clothing instead. Invest in a humidifier to help keep your skin hydrated, as it will add moisture to the dry winter air. Place it in the room you spend the most time in, including your bedroom.
2. Change up your shower routine
Taking a long, steamy hot shower may feel like a great idea at the time, but the hot water can dry out your skin by stripping its natural oils. It isn’t easy, but your skin will be much better in a 5-10 minute lukewarm shower or bath. If the idea of a cold shower is unbearable, at the very least you can choose a soap, moisturiser and cleanser that doesn’t irritate your skin, and aim to use less of the product overall so you’re not lathering it all across your body. Incorporating emu oil into your shower routine can help further moisturise and nourish your dry, chapped winter skin.
3. Modify your skincare regimen
During the cooler season, opt for creamier, thicker cleaners and moisturisers, and reduce the amount of toners and astringents you apply to your face. Many astringents contain alcohol which can further dry out and itch your skin. Before bed, use a richer moisturiser on your face so your skin can fully absorb the nutrients and repair and restore hydration overnight. In the morning, apply moisturiser again to refresh and renew the skin for the day. Throughout the day, apply a rich cream to revive and nourish your hands as they’re constantly exposed to the elements and can become dry and cracked. The obvious tell-tale sign of winter is dry, chapped lips. Glossing your lips with pure emu oil throughout the day is a natural way to keep your lips supple (it’s also totally safe to ingest and is actually good for your overall health!). Last but certainly not least, don’t be fooled by dark dreary grey days in winter. The sun’s harmful UV rays can filter through clouds and cause damage to your skin. Applying pure emu oil to your skin can help add an extra layer of sun production.
4. Remember to eat well and stay hydrated
Sometimes when your skin is very dry in winter, it can be improved by staying well hydrated and increasing your intake of foods or supplements that contain Omega 3 or Omega 6 fatty acids (such as fish oil, flaxseed oil and emu oil). After all, there’s nothing more effective than nourishing your skin from the inside out. If you’re not keen on the idea of eating these foods and you’re sick of drinking boring water, consider adding sliced fruits to a big water bottle and a few drops of emu oil to infuse the water with a yummy fruity flavour. This will motivate you to drink more h20 and get the double benefit of Omega 3 & 6 with every sip!
5. Dress accordingly to your skin’s needs
Wear appropriate, comfortable clothing to help reduce aggravating your dry winter skin. Rougher fabrics such as wool can cause skin itching and irritation if it directly rubs against your skin. Instead, opt for light layers made from soft and breathable materials – such as silk and cotton – as a base layer, and then add your thicker clothes over the top.
- 5 Fun Ways to Drink Emu Oil
- The Difference Between a Chiropractor, Osteopath and Physiotherapist
- 10 ways Emu Oil helps in warmer weather
- 5 Natural Allergy Immunity Boosters
- 5 Tips for Healthy Winter Skin
- Emu Oil Benefits: Inside and Out
- 5 Natural Remedies to deal with Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Health for the Whole Family: Using Emu Oil for Kids
- 3 Ways to Boost Up your Emu Oil Routine
- Using Emu Oil for Your Pet’s Health and Wellbeing
- 4 Ways to Start Your Morning Routine with Emu Spirit
- The Beauty of Emu Oil: Treating your Face, Hair & Nails
- 10 Every Day Health Hacks with Emu Oil
- The Secret Ingredient You Should Add to Your Skincare Routine
- Can Emu Oil Promote Better Gut Health?
- Getting to the Root of the Cause: Emu Oil for Hair Loss
- After-Sun Care with Emu Spirit
- Emu Oil: Health for the Whole Family
- 4 More Benefits of Emu Oil
- 4 Unknown Benefits of Emu Oil
- What Are Comedogenic Oils & Their Ranking?
- Emu Oil Skin Benefits?
- 5 Unexpected Things You Can Use Emu Oil For
- Protecting your skin and immune system in Spring
- 5 Benefits of Emu Oil and What Makes It Effective
- Using Emu Oil for the Digestive Tract
- Using Emu Oil for Asthma
- Emu Spirit for treating Redness and Rosacea
- 5 Reasons Why You Need To Try Emu Oil
- 5 Ways to Relieve Back Pain
- 5 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- Chemical vs. Natural Anti-Inflammatory Pain Relief
- Fish Oil vs. Emu Oil
- How to use Emu Oil to treat Allergies
- Emu Oil for Hair Loss?
- Research Suggests Anti-Inflammatories are Key to Treating Acne
- How To Use Emu Oil to Treat Psoriasis
- Why Emu Oil is Effective for Skin Treatment
- Is Emu Oil Effective for Treating Osteoarthritic Hand Pain?
- Emu Oil Can Help Treat Eczema
- 8 Tips to Manage Eczema Flare Ups this Season
- 4 Benefits of Emu Oil You Should Know
- 5 Skin Survival Tips for Changing Climate
- 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods to Keep You Healthy This Spring
- The Amazing Benefits of Pure Emu Oil for Your Skin
- 9 Antioxidants That Can Help Prevent Premature Skin Ageing
- How To Get Vitamin D During Winter in Australia
- How to Take Care of Your Skin in Winter
- 10 Arthritis Pain Relief Tips for Winter
- What are the Benefits of Emu Oil Capsules?
- The Emu
- Omega 6 – The Other Essential Fatty Acid
- How Do You Know What Is the Best Quality Emu Oil? (TGA Listed)
- Emu Spirit’s Natural Products for Healthy Skin
- Benefits of Emu Oil
- Suntec Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd
- Copyright © Emu Spirit .
- Website by Wolf
Prices in AUD
To speak with us call
1800 662 212